ANT: Spectrum Communications Slim-G
PWR: 5w via internal battery
Case: PowerPort WorldPouch for FT-817

HF QSOs

RIG: Yaesu FT-817ND
ANT: SOTABeams Quadband Dipole
MAST: Decathlon 6m travel pole
PWR: 5w via ZIPPY Compact 2100mAh 3S1P 30C LiFePo4 Pack

All power connections standardized using PowerPole connectors.

Other

Logging: Rite in the Rain 4x6 Notebook and STAEDTLER Noris HB Pencil
Rucksack: RUNATURE Molle Shoulder Bag
Camera: Panasonic TZ-70
Water: SAWYER PRODUCTS SP181 All-in-One Squeeze Filter
Footwear: Salomon X Ultra 3 Prime GTX

Safety

Mapping: Memory Map Android App

The squeeze filter is a recent purchase, and in theory means you don’t have to carry water if you know there will be running water on route. As it happens I didn’t use it this time out, but I’m sure it will contribute greatly to reduced rucksack weight on longer trecks!

Introduction

Holme Fell is a great little summit if you are limited on time. Today I was picking up some antenna cable and connectors from an amateur radio operator in Coniston - being a convenient connection to Nick in FARS who looks after the club stock. Brooke had some friends in a cricket match, Alex went for a run. It took longer to get there as our normal detour route via Kirkstone Pass and The Struggle was not possible as The Struggle had be closed for a triathlon event. So our escape from the traffic between Windermere & Ambleside wasn’t possible, and we ended up having to crawl in traffic from Troutbeck Bridge.

As it happens the weather was still pretty terrible whilst travelling, so the delay didn’t affect plans too much.

Garmin Tracking

I got distracted in conversation with a guy at the end of the walk who had strung a tight-rope across the tarn and was practising walking it when I set off. So the GarminTracking is a bit off. He was packing up and by his van when I got back. It reminded me a lot of amateur radio, in some senses, as he said it had taken him to some wonderful places and met some great people. Out in nature, concentrating on an activity.

Holme Fell

WOTA ID: LDW-213 Height: 317 m (1040 ft)
SOTA ID: G/LD-051 Grid ref: NY315006
HuMP ID: n/a QTH Locator: IO84LJ
Book: The Southern Fells Lat: 54.396114 Long: -3.055174

If you are cracking on the summit can be had in around 30 minutes from the parking spot next to Yew Tree Tarn. It is 225 metres ascent from the tarn, my heart rate peaked at 164 bpm.

The walk around the tarn is lovely, another summit where the initial ascent is through some lovely woods, and it isn’t very long before the 360 degree vista of the summit opens up around you.

Yew Tree Tarn, with tight rope just visible

Path through the woods

Summit Cairn Stones

Coniston Water

The Langdales

Activation

Setup for HF

Great to get Andrew G0LWU first in the log - he is the trainer at MBARS and was the last to activate Holme Fell, so a complete for both of us! Douggie was on hand for a second contact, then I couldn’t raise anyone else - would be interested if any WOTA chasers tried with no copy?

I was keen to activate for SOTA as well as WOTA, so the HF antenna was quickly erected and spots were easy with good 4G coverage. On 40m I accidently spotted slightly above the band and the FT-817ND wasn’t complaining - I’ve not really investigated whether this particular model, obtained 2nd-hand, has been widebanded, maybe it has?

Some signals were quite weak with me such as DG1NAM and G1NPM but with judicious use of the ample audio volume available I was able to copy callsigns and signal reports. Just one contact on 20 metres but by this time I knew I was pushing my luck and needed to get going.

Time Call Band Freq Mode TX RX QTH Country Operator Name
1405 G0LWU 2m 145.575 FM 59 59 Morecambe England Andrew Charles Scarr
1407 G7CDA 2m 145.575 FM 59 59 Near Preston England Douggie G7CDA
1422 GI0AZA 80m 3.721 SSB 59 55 Dungiven, Co Londonderry Northern Ireland Esther JM Harper
1424 G4OOE 80m 3.721 SSB 59 55 SCARBOROUGH, North Yorkshire, England A.R.N. (Nick) LANGMEAD
1426 G1NPM 80m 3.721 SSB 41 44 KENT CT10 1QF England GP BATCHELOR
1427 M0JLA 80m 3.721 SSB 58 44 Hereford City England Rod M0JLA
1428 DG1NAM 80m 3.721 SSB 41 44 Germany
1435 M0AAP 40m 7.195 SSB 59 43 Thatcham England Ian Parker
1437 EA2DT 40m 7.195 SSB 41 41 31080 - Pamplona - Navarra Spain Manuel
1438 G0HIO 40m 7.195 SSB 58 42 Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire England Michael Warrington
1442 EA1DHB 20m 14.315 SSB 57 55 Villarcayo - Burgos Spain Ricardo Pena

Having remembered my Panasonic TZ-70 I took the opportunity to zoom in on a few summits that were clearly visible.

Helvellyn Trig Point and Summit Shelter

Fairfield Horseshoe Walkers

Local Flora

Couple Enjoying the Vista

Big Rock!

It was good to be out again!

2 Likes

Good log Mark and some of these quick ascents I like the best…great views :+1: