A Relaxing Morning in the Outdoors

Had a nice walk this morning taking in two local fells which we hadn’t visited for a few years , namely Grike & Crag Fell , this was the first time with radio gear, however. We started the walk about 9am and there was a decidedly cold breeze June 1st . this seemed to drop away and the sun warmed things up on both summits .
It’s the first time since entering the hobby last Autumn that I’ve sat on a summit in the sun leisurely drinking tea and not trying to get out of the wind or key the mic with numb fingers. I had contacts into England , Ireland , Scotland & Wales , as well as the more local regulars . My Wife was happy to spend the time as summit photographer for both myself and the occasional walkers who commissioned her to take their pictures by the cairns even though there was a pole with a white pipe on top protruding vertically from it . It will make a good talking point when they show their friends I suppose?

Richard .

3 Likes

Richard

Great pics. Relaxed activating is great! A calm warm day is worth remembering - about one in fifty in my experience! 73, Phil

Hi richard
Sorry I was not at home to to get you but hope you had a great day the wx looks better than don’t down in here in Poole it’s cold and raining see you soon
73 reg

Makes a change for it to be drier up here than down South Reg ! Mind it was a cold wind on the way up , more like March than June . but it dropped and the sun got out . We’ll have to have another morning out soon .
Richard.

True enough Phil , Mountain tops light breezes and warm sunshine are not words which appear in the same sentence very often !
Richard 73

Nice walk out Richard last time I activated it I walked up from Anglers crag past the Pinnacles and up through a small gully on to the top. You picked a good day sorry to miss you but was busy keeping the grandkids happy :+1:

Cheers ! Catch you soon Mike . Those Grandkids certainly keep us busy !
Richard

I think those photos are fake. It’s only ever been freezing or windy or covered in cloud when I’ve been up there. Next you’ll be saying that the boggy bit between the two is navigable without getting wet feet :joy:

It started off a bit like that Alex ,more like like March than June and grey cloud on the way up, but uncharacteristically the wind actually dropped even on the top, and the sun got out. It was decidedly “moist” in the dip but even that was not as bad as I have seen it in the past .
Richard.

That’s more like it

I like those 2, especially Crag Fell. Lovely view of Ennerdale

I quite like Sale fell for the views too, Alex , it’s handy to get to if you haven’t much time and want a just want some exercise, and the views from the Lothwaite / Rivings side down the lake toward Keswick are not what you’d expect as the fell it’s self looks quite unspectacular from the road .

Plans are starting to take shape at my end. It looks likely that I’ll be around the red screes / high street side of the county. Not settled on a route but aiming to stay out overnight so I can attempt to have a qso with one of the CW Academy students in the US.

Its going to need a bit of thought so I don’t gt carried away and over commit and then run the risk of not having any power.

Alex