A wet Hopegill Head

Funny how you can plan the night before and everything is packed and ready to go…then in the morning its all changed and your repacking your bag :slightly_smiling_face:, what was going to be Grey Knotts, Brandreth, Green Gable and Great Gable turned into just the one activation Hopegill Head.

Still the legs got a blasting climbing Whin Ben and Whiteside and then over Gasgale craggs for the climb to Hopegill…did have the intentions of going up to Crag Hill (Eel Crag)…but the rain at the summit changed my route and put me in home mode. So on Coledale hause I descended via Gasgale Gill for the lonely walk back to the car…this I have done a good few times now and tell myself each time I will never do it again. I find it to be a walk with many hazards no phone signal and chances of a radio contact very very slim and not many people walk it.
Still very enjoyable and good to be out for fresh air and exercise :+1:

Hopegill Head LDW-053 (2m fm)

2E0LDF
M7XUP
GM4WHA
2E0CSS

Hi Mike,

Well done on the activation and thank you for the contact. We went walking to but it was along some cliffs at Balcory Point which is near Auchencairn.

I take it you were under the Lime Green cover! If so what a great thing to use when activating in bad weather!

73’s Geoff GM4WHA

I wish Geoff thats just my rain cover for my rucksack…but must admit looks like someone is hiding under there lol :slightly_smiling_face:

hi mike
you made the right decision not to go for great gable you can see how fast the conditions can change and not going on was right call the way down gasgale gill is no walk in the park its very rocky and loose
73 reg 2e0ldf

Great Gable seems to have a whole weather thing going on by itself for the most part. You weren’t suddenly going to see the sun up there, can guarantee that!