Activation of Fleetwith Pike LDW-116 8th September 2022

This had been on my HEMA hitlist for quite a while now, but I’ve never had the opportunity to activate it. I was going to activate Gowbarrow Fell, but as Fleetwith is a Wainwright I thought Id go for this one as there’ll be more chance of getting some chasers!

Parking at Honistor Slate mine (£5 to park all day!) I took the steep gravel track up to Hoperslate quarry before moving right past a huge mound of slate chippings and upward towards Black Star.

Walking along the track towards Fleetwith is fairly flat until you gain a bit more elevation before reaching the Cairn marking the Summit.

I felt a few drops of rain and thought it was going to have to be a 4 and run activation.

I got out the FT60 and connected it to the Dipole. Using high power the radio kept switching off as did medium power. This has happened before and I suspect the battery is buggerd. Low power was working so I called Cq and logged Derek 2E0MIX and Reg 2E0LDF. I decided that 500mw won’t cut it so I set up the 857d and Used 10W. More problems! Rain started so I had to stuff the radio in the bag and try to stop it getting wet… whilst trying to keep my bag upright!

A few more calls and a run of stations logged

GM6LJE Robin North of the Border

M7MGO/P Richard in Whitehaven

M0AYB Phill in Cockermouth

G1OHH Sue in Lancaster

M0DXT Bill near Keswick

G4ZRP Ryan on the Wirral

G0QUC forgot the name (oopsie)

I left a message on a discord group and one of the people on their lives in Whitehaven and heard Richard talking to me. He jumped in his car and headed towards St Bees to get a bit of high ground. While I waited the rain started to get the inside of my bag wet and the radio with it! Roughly around 12:30pm local I worked 2E0KCI Nathan who was using his FT5d for the first time since he got it.

After that I pulled the plug and started my decent. To reward my self I had a Bacon bap and a Coffe at the Slate Mine.

A good summit to activate, there is a bit of space for a Vertical but not much so be aware of guying ropes!

Another summit off the hitlist! Sorry to those who were after SSB, but there was a forecast for rain and thunder around 13:30 local and I’m not being an earthing rod for anyone!

Hope to get back up to the lakes again next year, by this point I’m probably the slowest Wainwright activator!

2 Likes

hi dom
it was good to get you on Fleetwith Pike.I collect both Hema and Wainwright’s and have logged both .

Welcome to the north lake’s if it’s not raining just wait a few minutes and it will be
Gowbarrow Fell is a Wainwright ldw-181 but not one i can get from home so you made the right choice for me
73 reg 2e0ldf

1 Like

It was good to get you in the log Reg! was good do get out on the Wainwrights again too. I must have missed Gowbarrow when I was searching for what Wainwrights are also HEMAs. I blame the screen on my phone! I have missed the Lake District and haven’t been up that way since 2019.
I shall return next year and hopefully do a few more.

73 Dom M6KIO

Nice to eventually make the contact Dom .
I’d just taken the hand held up the back field behind home thinking I’d get you without a remote antenna I was talking to Reg in Cockermouth and heard both him and Derek working you I was struggling with Fleetwith on my gear . walking about 30 yards to the North seemed to be just about enough to make it through.
Until next time .
Richard M7MGO

1 Like

Great to get you in the log Richard. Not sure what summits Im going to try next hope fully some more Western ones next time!