Bowscale Fell, Bannerdale Crags and Mungrisdale Common

Tuesday 1st June @ 08h00 RT was the designated Reg (@2e0ldf) collection time for the third guided walk by my very own personal tour guide… I was late… not very late, but I just can’t seem to get anywhere on time.

We were one down too, so that should have made it easier. M7KOM was nursing a swolen knee, the result of an altercation with a scooter guided, or should I say fired, towards him by his little brother the day before - happy to report no lasting damage. So off we headed for Mungrisdale with the little terror in tow.

This was a very similar walk to that done by @M0NOM a month earlier. Spoiler alert - Blencathra was off the menu very early on.

Reg will likely post some photos, and Marks report is better than I could muster, so I’ll keep this one short. We had a great time on the Fells. I went armed with x2 5Ah Makita Lipo drill batteries and my mobile radio - FTM-7250D. We got some great long distance contacts.

Bowscale Fell

WOTA ID: LDW-087 Height: 702 m (2303 ft)
SOTA ID: n/a Grid ref: NY333305
HuMP ID: n/a QTH Locator: IO84LP
Book: The Northern Fells Lat: 54.665049 Long: -3.034222

First in the log was Mark @M0NOM on Loughrigg Fell. Amongst the 12 contacts made on 2m FM, Rob in Southport was probably the furthest away. It was also great to get Richard on Blencathra - but that summit will have to wait for another day.

Bannerdale Crags

WOTA ID: LDW-096 Height: 683 m (2241 ft)
SOTA ID: n/a Grid ref: NY336290
Book: The Northern Fells Lat: 54.651609 Long: -3.02923

Again, some great far away contacts, Dave in Darlington, Paul in Motherwell and Sue (@g1ohh) in Lancaster.

Mungrisdale Common

WOTA ID: LDW-121 Height: 633 m (2077 ft)
SOTA ID: n/a Grid ref: NY310292
Book: The Northern Fells Lat: 54.653057 Long: -3.069571

Having failed to find the lake as promised by Derek @2e0mix we set about setting new expectations regards to contacts you could make from this fell. I’m told that it’s not unusual to get only 3 or 4. This was the prize of the day for David @g6lkb who had travelled with his son Clifford @m6lkb specifically for this chase. Unfortunately we could not get Sue @g1ohh. Reg has more 17 in the log, I’ve only 16, so not sure who I’ve left out… We got our only NI contact, Norman, from here.

The walk was a little under 10 miles and boy could I feel it when we got back home…

1 Like

Some great contacts there just a shame I’m not in the log yet again…well done all :clap: