Fleetwith Pike to Red Pike Sun 20th Sept 2015

On Sunday 20th September 2015 Geoff 2E0NON, Nick G4OOE and myself GM4WHA did a challenging walk in very poor weather conditions at times.
The summits were as follows:-

FLEETWITH PIKE LDW-116
HAYSTACKS LDW-131
HIGH CRAG LDW-065
HIGH STILE LD-012 / LDW-029
RED PIKE (Buttermere) LDW-062
Also the descent from Red Pike back to the hotel at Buttermere was extremely hard due to the very slippery stones on the descent. Also the weather especially on High Stile was very wet and windy at times with extremely poor visibility on High Stile. We also met up with Heather M6UXH and Connor whose callsign i have forgotten.

Nick [ G4OOE/P ] , Geoff [G4WHA/P ] and I [2E0NON/P ] completed the walk of 9.02 mls and 4484 ft Ascent to Red Pike with a difficult descent to the Fisherman’s Arms in Buttermere as the light faded , in the company of Heather [M6UXH ] and Conor .

We set off at about 10.00 am and got to the hotel at between 1900 hrs and 1930 hrs.

Derek 2E0MIX very kindly gave all of us a lift from Buttermere back to the car park at Honister. We were so grateful to him for that.

Of all the walks i have done this was one of the toughest mainly because of the weather conditions.

I hope you like the photos.

Geoff GM4WHA

73,s Geoff GM4WHA

Wow, that is one hell of a day out @GM4WHA! Thanks for the great report, Mark.

Hi Mark,

It was an interesting day! If the weather and visibility had been great, the views from the High Crag/High Stile ridge would have been superb. However you dont have any control over the weather!

The descent from Red Pike was awful especially the last section from Bleaberry tarn as the stone steps were so slippery you had to take extreme care. It would have been so easy to have an accident. That would be one descent where walking poles would have been so useful.

73’s Geoff GM4WHA