Grisedale Pike 3/12/2023

Last Minute plans this morning as the forecast looked OK and it wasn’t too bad on the way up .The last few hundred yards were a bit iffy underfoot and slow going so Wife stayed in the relative warmth below the top and I carried on up . I’d have stayed longer but in the icy breeze and rapidly diminishing visibility thought we’d best head down . Thanks to everyone that waited and called in , I think I worked everyone waiting except one station who tried a couple of times but unfortunately could not quite pull out make out from the noise .
Richard 2E0XGO

1 Like

Hi Richard,

Great winter photos. It is a bit different to when Reg and I did it. I was operating in a t-shirt as it was warm!! Thank you for the contact today.

73’s Geoff GM4WHA

Interesting when I contacted you on the ascent Geoff , using that Sehaix handheld I carry on the way up with the Nagoya 771 antenna on , struggled to hear you through a 0 squelch setting , I know it is not as sensitive on receive as my Yaesu ft65 , so just swapped the same antenna over onto that and you were loud and clear with a good signal on the meter.The Chinese one must have similar internals to the Beofengs?
Richard

Hi Richard,

I am not convinced that alot of these cheap handhelds are great when out on the fells. I have heard stations which have been 59 to me and they could not hear me. Yet i am running 50 watts normally. I remember struggling with Reg on some of the Northern fells when he used UV-5R. When i first heard you you were about 55 but then there was nothing. However when you swapped handhelds you were no problem.

Just my observations though.

73’s Geoff GM4WHA

I agree Geoff .
I used that radio when first licenced and took it on my first activation connected to the flowerpot antenna to try it. I could hear stations S5+ on the Yaesu FT65 with only the Nagoya whip that I could not hear at all on the Senhaix with the flowerpot .Lessons were learned there .