Hooker Crag/Muncaster 27/11/2023

A few photos from today on LDO-103 with Reg . Half a dozen contacts including one down into the Cardigan area in Wales .

Flowerpot & Slim Jim

2E0XGO

1 Like

Apparently, Hooker Crag (LDO-103) used to be a SOTA (G/LD-055) but – to use the modern parlance – has been “cancelled” because the very nearby Muncaster Fell (G/LD-059) was discovered to be 232m ASL, 1 or 2 metres higher than Hooker Crag. Fortunately, Wainwrights don’t get cancelled.

During the discovery perhaps locals said “An Englishman who went up a SOTA but came down a WOTA”.

This was the first SOTA / WOTA I did when I got my licence two years ago and was a bit confused by this one . I made my first call from the trig point which seemed the obvious place and if I recall it was Derek 2E0MIX answered and informed me I needed to walk a bit farther to be on the SOTA point .
I wondered why if Hooker Crag is within 25m vertically of the current sota summit it is not still in the activation zone ? Apparently similar applies on Watch Hill/ Setmurthy .

Hi Richard
some photos i took

none of them show how cold it was, but for a small easy fell it was worth going down to do the view’s where great, on a nice summers day it would be a lovely place to spend more time
and of course the camera battery might not have died

wind speed was 15 mph with a wind chill of -3 but the rain held of till i was back home
73 reg

Nice pictures Reg , considering you were having to bully the power out of the camera battery for each of them .Those coastal fells give a smashing view of the main fells inland , plus you have the coastal views as well .

Thought you were going to be the only contact yesterday on Whinlatter , but got Robin & Peter and even managed to get Geoff in Carlisle . Nice walk , weather was good , and a small herd of roe deer ran across the forest track right in front of me on the way down .
Richard 2E0XGO.

Nice piccies. Stop going out when I’ve got to be in work you two!!!

We’ll get the timing better for next time !!!

If you don’t have to walk more than 25m downhill between them, then it is. Hadn’t thought about it that way, but you’re right. Setup once. I’ve yet to visit, but will do this at some point.

Thanks for the photos.

Mark.

That explains that Mark ,
Nice to get you on 40m on Loughrigg the other day , and you just reminded me I hadn’t logged the contact down and confirmed it on here .
Just did 40m for a change on Watch Hill today , was going to do 2m as usual but although it was nice in the sun , I had Mrs XGO/P with me and didn’t want to outstay my welcome :wink: as it was getting nippy after a while . Great to get Reg on HF for the first time as well !
Richard.

A Wintery Watch Hill today

1 Like

I wondered this myself - out loud on the SOTA reflector. It’s hard to tell just looking at the 10m contour lines around each summit. It would be easier to judge if the map showed contours at 5m intervals. But it does involve dropping down a little over 25m. So, neither one is in the other’s AZ.

1 Like