Joint activation of Low Fell with G8CPZ

in September i met Andy G8CPZ on my local Watch Hill wota/sota and we agreed to do a joint activation of Low Fell ldw-196 and g/ld -042, it was a 90 minute drive for him so we met up at lorton cross roads at 12:00 and drove to Thackthwaite to park up
we set of walking at 12:10 and set a good pace only stopping once to take of a layer of clothing to stop from over heating as it was very mild and no wind we reached the summit at 1:00 and set up
it’s always good to go with a with a fellow ham and see what they use
i had my yaesu ft 25— 3 metre roach pole and a new antenna i had just made
andy had i think a yaesu ft 1d --a 7 metre sota type pole and a Jpole antenna on it
we made 5 contacts on 2metres
2e0mix derek in Whitehaven
G1OAE tony in Seaton
GM0PMW andy in Annan
2e0ikm mike in Cockermouth
G1ZJQ/P derek 2s2 on G/SB 005

this must be one of the best views in the Lakedistrict and i have never got a good photo of it

and

andy sat in the sun calling CQ but Low Fell is surrounded by much higher fells and we only got the 4 contacts

down over Crummock Water the higher tops are still covered in mist

i never get tired of is view if only i could get the perfect picture

out towards Scotland it’s a lot brighter

the black ridge is Burnbank leading to Blake Fell

bella sat quiete all the time we play radio and never whimpered once

Great Gable at the head of the valley just poke in it’s head through the clouds with High Crag / High Sile / and Red Pike on the right and Rannerdale Knotts in the centre

Whiteside on the left and Grasmoor to the right over Lorton valley

on last look and head down and only had a limited time he could spend on the summit because of the long drive home

Fellbarrow in the background

leaving the open fellside and in to the narrow tree lined path that was more like a stream bed than a path after a the rain we have had

it was great to meet up with andy G8CPZ and do this walk it is a favourite of mine and wx held out for us. andy always seems to pick the best days out of a bad week
i look forward to the next joint activation and thanks for graphics of the contacts the photos of me would not upload but i have been having problems with the internet

2 Likes

Nice illustrated report, Reg. I agree that the view including Rannerdale Knott etc from Low Fell is perhaps the best in the Lake District (there will be other candidates!). You got some good pics (eg 1299) - I think the best viewpoint is some distance on beyond the actual summit. I’ve had a few goes at photographing that view, but not 100% satisfied either! Summer evening is probably best, with sunlight coming in from the west. 73, Phil.

It was good fun and the weather was kind. Lovely photos Reg.

Here’s a couple more.

1 Like

Stunning scenery, and no chance of losing @2e0ldf in those clothes :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards, Mark.