Last minute decision to go for the 2 final western fells

with the rise in covid cases again plus the influx of visitors i thought i should get the 2 fells down Wasdale Yewbarrow and Red Pike done and complete the western fells
i got up at 05:30 (bst) and left home at 06:30 arriving at the parking spot in Wasdale 1 hour later, but in my haste to get out i forgot my energy bar and mars bar i also for got to check the camera battery the night before i had 1 lltre of water with a scoop of SIS in it plus the best buy this year my sawyer squeeze

the start of the walk with Yewbarrow through the trees

the path follows the fence line for most of the way

and then head’s to the crags MR Wainwright calls Dropping crag but i know them as Overbeck crag’s having climbed every route on them and many variations in my younger day’s

for me the scramble up past the crag was the best bit of route up Yewbarrow and went out of my way to take in the rocky bits to add interest

looking down to Waswater

Red Pike and Pillar from from the summit of Yewbarrow

Scoat Fell from Red Pike

Pillar

on the left Middle Fell— Seatallan—and Haycock

Pillar again

Great Gable

Haycock and the Solway coast

the view the other way to the south

the decent of Yewbarrow down to Dore Head was really enjoyable and for me the better option than the scree path under the crag’s
i did find the trek up to Red Pike long and tougher them i remember, i must be getting old
the return down was by Scoat Tarn and brought my out by the car at netherbeck

2 Likes

Hi Reg,

Dont blame you for making a last minute decision to do you final 2 Western fells. Congratulations!

What great photos! Pleased you had a good day with superb weather. Hope to do some of those fells at some stage this year. The photos give me a good idea of the terrain and views.

Catch you soon.

73’s Geoff

GM4WHA

hi geoff
i’am happy to go back later in the year and show you the way
but i just had to take the chance when i had it

reg

No mean feat that Reg and I concur, the Red Pike trek definitely feels much further than it looks - the legs don’t lie but the eyes often do!

Well done mate, Mark.