M0PYG & G4OOE In LD 6-11 Sep 26

Geoff & I are staying in Patterdale Sun 6 - Fri 11 Sep. We hope to activate some WOTA/SOTA summits in LD. Hoping for reasonable wx so we can work as many as possible.

73

Geoff M0PYG & Nick G4OOE

1 Like

Hello all,

We had to pull out of activating Stony Cove Pike after we found it a bit too much after the long drive from our homes. Tomorrow we are hoping to activate both the WOTA & SOTA summits of Muncaster Fell.

73

Nick G4OOE & Geoff M0PYG

1 Like

I activated Muncaster for the first time last year and it is a beautiful walk. Note that Richard @GD4OFB is over from the Isle of Man this week, so there is the possibility of some S2S during the week.

Hope to catch you at some point.

Regards, Mark.

I parked a few 100m’s away from the hotel and activated Place Fell (LDW-108) this morning. Couldn’t find a sheltered spot out of the strong south-westerly wind that was also a good VHF take-off to the south (and the bulk of 2m chasers). With the slow 2m QSO rate, I was too cold to do HF afterwards; in any case no flat-ish area for my EHFW that wasn’t out in the wind. Must take my HF vertical next time.

Well done for getting up there Andy.

I’d taken a ride out on the GSA and stopped off at the first viewpoint on Whinlatter to try out my new additional VHF antenna mounting point.

I’d pulled up next to a fellow adventure bike rider whose travelling companion had parked his bike on too much of a slope and it had dropped on his leg. He’d left to go back to Windermere.

In between chatting to him I saw your spot but with the Helvellyn range in the way it was too much of an ask even on SSB.

I did hear Geoff @GM4WHA responding to other activators on FM that I wasn’t picking up.

As there is no ground plane on the new mount I need
to chose a different antenna as I had high
swr with the antennas available to me. The Watson 7900 is fine but too heavy for the mounting point.

Mark

1 Like

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear about adverse conditions on Place Fell.

Geoff M0PYG, Dave G3TQQ/P & I had a great day on Place Fell earlier in the year. We had a very good day on LDO-103 and later G/LD-059 Muncaster Fell today. We had only 2 contacts on LDO-103 and 7 on G/LD-059. Fortunately the rain forecasted on Mountain Weather never appeared. We just used our FT-857 & a dipole for 145-fm. We had hf with us but decided to get back to our car before potential rain.

Hi Mark

We hope to get you in the log from somewhere. We just take every day as it comes and we aren’t finding the higher fells as easy as they were in the past. I can’t think why - hi hi!

Cheers

Nick

1 Like

Tuesday 8 September

We headed off to Lingmoor Fell. The weather was awful but we managed 9 contacts on 145-fm. Geoff, never a shrinking violet pictured below.

1 Like

Wednesday 9 September

We set our sights on an old favourite of ours, Hutton Roof Crags. Lots of professional dog walkers on this one with 4,5 and even 6 dogs each. Nine contacts on 145-fm and we successfully dodged the rain! Geoff seen below. I have just realised that this is not WOTA but I hope that this still acceptable as it is an LD!

1 Like

Thursday 10th September

Another longish drive to Gummer’s How. Our satnav took us along some very narrow roads. We only managed 4 contacts on 145-fm but I also did a bit on 14-cw & 14-ssb. Quite a few punters seen including a couple of organised walking groups.

Friday 11th September

Geoff had left Patterdale to avoid the Friday afternoon heavy traffic on the M5 & M6. So I decided to do Blencathra with just an FT-70D and dipole. A great walk up, very gently Bentley. 13 stations worked including s2s with Andy G6CPZ/P on G/LD-054 and Alex GM5ALX/P on GM/ES-012. We had a great few days and thanks to all the fellow chasers and activators. Hopefully we will be back again next Spring.

73

Nick & Geoff

1 Like

Thanks for all the reports. I’ve not been able to make it out on the fells much lately, so sorry we couldn’t have a S2S, but always nice to see you two on your adventures :wink:

Mark. M5TEA.